Saturday, April 19, 2008

Take Care

Two words: "Take Care"
at the close of a letter
may seem to mean only
a moment's concern,
but as little gifts hold
the most wonderful treasures,
so two small words disclose
one of life's greatest pleasures:
The value of true friends,
beyond price or measure.

I add: "Take Care"
to build bridges with words
across days, years, and miles
when life keeps us too scheduled
for face-to-face smiles, or long conversations,
for laughter, or comfort, or sharing vacations,
when an in-person visit is too far away.

In this small phrase, I'll be there,
in spirit, today.

Just know: "Take Care"
means more than it sounds.
It's my heart, and my hand,
reaching out with concern,
during sadness, or stress,
celebrating success, drying tears...
or embracing you most lovingly.
I'm sending you words
when I can't send me.

-Poem by Beth Thompson

No comments: